Wednesday, July 14, 2010

U of A Graduation cake

I've been cranking out cakes this month again. Not on a full on bakery scale, but on a one woman operation scale:) So my next mission was a graduation cake. It doesn't look as large in the picture as it actually was in real life.

The bottom tier was a 16" round, for those of you who aren't familiar with pan sizes, this ginormous cake feeds about 90 people! That's just the bottom tier, next two tiers where 12" and 8". All in all this cake feeds over 150 people easily.

I have to admit the flavor requests were a little different for me. The bottom tier was chocolate with chocolate ganache and german coconut filling. The middle tier was pecan cake with cream cheese filling and the top cake was banana cake with coconut cream cheese filling.

The Top tier is covered in black fondant, and the bottom two tiers were iced in buttercream. This cake took me four days to complete from beginning to end. I had to make all the little gold beads that are in the center tier by hand, then brush them with gold luster dust and paint gold disco dust on top of that to get a glittery effect. I also had to color the gold stripes one by one after I added them to the cake with gold luster dust.

The maroon color took me almost an hour to knead and deepen to a richer color. Then I created the square on top fo the graduation cake by cutting a cake board and covering with black fondant. The tassle on the top was painted with gold luster dust and gold disco dust as well. Then I made pearl beads to add to the bottom of each tier. Also, the diploma in the center was fondant and the edges were painted with gold luster dust and gold disco dust. By the way, disco dust is my new best friend:) If you would like to purchase some try this link http://www.nycake.com/ .

Below is the finished cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment