Friday, July 16, 2010

Bows and Calla Lilies


Swirls, diamonds, butterflies and calla lilies make a sophisticated birthday cake. The cake was actually put together rather quickly. I made the bow with only two days to spare due to a strained back muscle. This is definitely out of the ordinary because a bow should set for atleast 3 days minimum. Especially a thick large bow like this one. There was some breakage when I first attempted to stack the bow loops, but I had made plenty of extra's. The calla lilies are very simple to make.Watch this video and you can learn too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIjP1zRhH4 !!
So since my back hurt I decided on the calla lily because I was able to make a baker's dozen in about 3 hours total time. Roses would have taken twice as much if not longer to complete.
Before I forget, my Mom baked and filled the cakes. All I had to do was ice and add the decorations. I piped the swirls out of royal icing over parchment paper. I had to carefully pull the parchment paper off to avoid breaking the swirls. It worked out pretty good. My aunt was very happy, she's never had a birthday celebration so I felt a special cake was appropriate for her.
The bottom of the cake is a half sheet of tres leches (three milkds) and the top is a 10 in round of chocolate cake.
This cake fed about 80 people all together!
Stay tuned, I will be making a tutorial on putting together this cake shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment