Wednesday, July 14, 2010

May Religious Cakes

The month of May is filled with a lot of religious celebrations. There all once in a lifetime events for most people so they deserve a unique and tasty cake creation! :) Below are some of the cakes I created for these unique occasions!


The Pink Bow Cake!

This cake was for my cousins little girl. She wanted a pink and brown cake with stripes and polka dots. I had a similar creation in mind, however, my cousin sent me a cake image which is very similar to the one below. It had chocolate fondant accens, and pink and white fondant accents. The pink bow is made out of Sugarveil, it was the first time I got to play with my sugarveil and I was quite excited about that. Of course, everytime you try something new you find new challenges along the way. The Sugarveil is similar to royal icing only once it starts to set it becomes flexible and fabric-like. It took a lot longer than to set than the instructions stated. That put me a little behind schedule. Once it was done, I was able to cut the sugarveil with scissors and make a bow, just like I would make a fabric bow. The bottom tier was red velvet with cream cheese filling and the top tier was chocolate with strawberry swirl and strawberry bavarian cream. The cake doesn't have a topper because my cousing purchased her own and added it to the top of the cake.


Open Bible Cake

The Bible cake was made for a confirmation. It was chocolate cake with whipped cream and fresh strawberries and bananas, topped off with buttercream icing. The rosary, cross and dove are made with fondant.
Hello Kitty Communion Cake


I had two Hello Kitty cake requests. The first was for a birthday/first communion. It was red velvet with cream cheese and half caramel mousse topped with whipped icing. I drew a Hello Kitty by hand on fondant for the birthday side and the other side is a handmade edible Hello Kitty in a first communion dress. I added fondant accents, such as handmade sugar roses, cross, and chalice.
Hello Kitty Communion Cake Part II


The next cake is a half sheet cake similar to the one I made for the birthday/communion cake above. I made another Hello Kitty out of fondant and dressed her in a first communion dress. This time the color of choice was in lavender and I really like how this looked. It was a vanilla flavored cake with strawberry filling and iced in a vanilla whipped topping.


Baptism Church Cake


The final cake I had was a baptism cake for my two nieces. It was three tiers, the bottom tres leches, the middle was banana cake with coconut cream cheese filling. (You should know that I LOVE coconut cream cheese filling:)) The top tier was strawberry cake with raspberry mousse filling. There was a fourth cake on the side but that one didn't make it to the cake! By the way I must mention that this cake barely made it to the event! Whipped topping on a cake over two tiers is a big NO-NO!! It made for a very unstable cake and the chocolate cake slid off. Two things happened that avoided this disaster, first, the tier above was made out of banana cake, which is ALWAYS made from SCRATCH and is very stable and dense. Second, my husband was standing right next to the cake and was able to catch the cake before it tumbled to the ground!! The topping was ruined so I had to quickly make more whipped topping and RE-decorate the entire cake!!! I made it to the party with about 30 minutes to spare!!! But the end result was not bad for a quick redo:)

No comments:

Post a Comment