Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tropical Birthday Cake

A really young, bright cake is always fun to make. I always feel like I'm still a young girl, and then I remember I'm in my early 30's! LOL So I made this cake for my cousing who turned 24 in June. She handed out invitations with a Hawiian girl, in a grass skirt on the invitation. Right away I knew I wanted to design her cake in that direction.

There were two tiers, both iced in buttercream. The bottom was a Tres Leches cake and the top was a chocolate cake with milk chocolate ganache and german coconut. I have to mention that my mom baked the cakes. She really wanted to get involved and so I told her to bake the cake and I would decorate them. So my job was a little easier this time, it still took me about 4 hours to crumb coat and finish the cake. Why so long you ask? Well I had to pipe the grass skirt with a #2 round tip because I didn't have the grass tip. So I piped the grass one strand at a time. My hand hurts just thinking about it! But in a good fun way:) Okay, on to the details, the cake is iced the grass "skirt" is piped. I made the tropical flowers ahead of time so they have time to harden and hold their shape. I also made the seashells using a mold and painted it to give it a more realistic effect. I used copper gel paint mixed with vodka to taint the seashell slightly. So the cake was stacked tiny flowers and details added and voila! Here's the final cake! My cousin told me she loved it and she didn't want to cut it! How cute is she?!

No comments:

Post a Comment