Monday, July 20, 2009

Lily Gumpaste flowers: What a challenge!

First of all, I have to mention that this cake was baked and iced by my lovely mother. She was to make a cake for my cousins Quinceanera. Since, she's not familiar with making gumpaste or fondant flowers I offered to help. So I made the lilac lilies and also a few butterflies, calla lilies and roses. They were quite a challenge since the lily's were very big and the humidity in June made it even more difficult. I scoured the internet on tips for making these lilies and finally I had to use my own technique to get them to look the way I wanted. It was actually a lot of fun and I like the way they turned out in the end. My mom was happy that I was able to stack the cake for her and add the finishing touches. The bottom tier was a delicious tres leches cake and the middle tier was chocolate with bavarian cream. The top tier was strawberry cake with strawberry filling. It was fantastic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment